Michael has a new look! He got his braces today. Steven took a before braces picture and a during braces picture.Poor Michael is afraid to eat anything. Every thing he goes to put in his mouth is the question, "Can I eat this?" He is finding he doesn't like the wax to protect the rough spots of the brackets or bands hitting his jaw (which we will go to the Ortho and have taken care of).
The procedure of braces these days sure has changed
since the days of Mom having braces. I had the bands around every tooth and had the wire poking me in the jaw with balls of wax wadded in my jaw to keep my jaw from hurting. I also didn't get pretty, different colored bands of my choice (Michael chose red and black bands), or the cool flossers, rechargable toothbrushes, or the paper of what you can't eat done in a rhyming poem.Michael stated he is the only boy and second person in his team at school to have braces. And he was able to comfort a couple of kids at school who thought they are going to have holes drilled in their teeth when they get their braces.
There are a few things Michael will have to give up for a while which are his favorites are: ribs on the bone, pizza crust, corn on the cob, Laffy Taffy, Air Heads and Star Burst. Mom knows the trick around the corn on the cob. But he is excited of the beautiful smile he will have.
Our little boy is growing up. Today as Michael and I were out doing errands after getting his braces on, I realized he has grown taller in the last few month and is up to my mouth. Steven and I are looking forward to the exciting things Michael will be experiencing this summer. Scout Camp, going into 6th grade, expanding his interests, and helping out at home as he is doing more and more without much "bargaining". Michael had to clean his room on Saturday, and I figured I would get the usual bulking. I didn't. Michael cleaned his room, he vacuumed, and even dusted. Michael is very good with watching Jacob if I need to run a quick errand. He's also a great secretary and dependable when I have messages.
And so, another chapter begins in the life of Michael.
No comments:
Post a Comment