Friday, November 5, 2010

Frugality

It's evident that our family doesn't win with the Monopoly Contest at McDonald's except for those horrible fries (only good when seering hot and and untouchable) or the disgusting fruit smoothies that I can make better at home for half the fat. But so far, no $5000 gift cards for Walmart that would do great for our food and basic needs for quite a while.

And then there's the fact that our savings is gone. And then O'Malley decided this week going out and dealing with it like a man ended him up in the "hospital". And then there is of course, the unexpected expenses of having the furnace cleaned and checked, the front door being blown open and broken off of its frame. So, one starts thinking about where the money is going to come from and soon, you realize the stuff you have been saving because, "Aunt Fiona" had it or the "find" you just had to have seems to start looking really good at seeing how much it would appraise for on the, "Antiques Roadshow". Or perhaps a yard sale sounds great on Black Friday.

I went to the grocery today and knowing I had only cash and found some items that needed returning for a credit made it do-able today on very little. I was very stressed and worried that I would have to put back things that I "really needed" and found that wasn't so as I only bought things "I really needed" with a bit left over. And I had cut down the list earlier that morning and grabbed coupons from the internet websites and the paper. I have found a couple of the magazines, one called, "All You" has coupons in every issue and is a great magazine for cheap. Great articles and such. This week in Price Chopper is double manufacturer coupons too. So today when I came home, I felt thrilled that I was able to spend very little for the week and have a bit leftover for the several gallons of milk we drink or cook with. I used to think I had to go with a big budgeted amount and couldn't carry cash as it was a control issue. It only caused guilt. Now I see many of these families who look to be struggling or look like those who use assistance and you just want to be a nosey and ask if they really need all those cases of soda, fillet mignon, or boxes of cereal.

Another thing I have noticed is, how many cleaners do you really need to clean a house? For many years, I have come conclusion that the liquid cleaners such as Lysol and Pine-sol are such a money pit. I have found Dawn dish and a green square brillo pad cleans a tub and shower stall spotless. Dawn is a great grease cutter. After scrubbing the areas with Dawn such as the bathroom or mopping the floor, I do a bleach rinse. For windex, I am going to white vinegar. It's cheap and works great. Please keep in mind, I am only stating this is what I do. There are so many other wonderful ideas out there I'm sure. But I am finding the less the better. But I have to admit, toilet cleaner is a must. Gain products for laundry are just something I don't do without. I will buy cheap sandwich bags before I give up my Gain. It's like getting cheap toilet paper (as Steven about that). But you have admit there are the generics/store brands that work just as well as the name brand and much cheaper. But then again, there are just some generic or store brands that should have been redesigned or left alone and only the name brand will do. For instance: Kraft 2% cheese. There's just no substitutes.

Not only during these tough economic times is it tough for us, but so many. My neighbor was just laid-off and I wonder if they are doing ok. They have 5 children and go to private schools. I know many whose husbands are just getting back to work and having to drive double the miles than they used to. It's times like these I'm so thankful for frugal websites, food storage, and having a husband that is one who uses the practice of using a budget and doesn't have the liberal mentality. We both grew up working for our needs from an early age and have been able to go back to those principles that were ingrained into us. And we hope those principles are rubbing off on our sons.

Now on coupons. Coupons are must to make it during these economic hard times. I know, they do take time to sort through, clip and put in your purse. Or, in your coupon caddy. I, myself, and a few other friends use a 3-ring binder that is labeled with dividers labeled: baked goods, cereals, and etc. with the baseball card holders. Then in the binder is notebook paper for the grocery list. It is a time saver and a great conversation starter. And I get a lot of looks. I didn't certainly think of it. A good friend introduced me to it. I know, you have heard of the, "coupon queens" who save hundreds of dollars per week and pay only $20 for $300 worth of food. But I am not one to just buy the product because I have a coupon for it. I found then that I came home with junk and food that I wondered why I bought it and then found it wasn't a savings at all. I would say that I save about anywhere from $3 to $10 per week. I have even saved $25 one week and it really made my day. But I found that was per luck. But still a little saved adds up. So to say the least, I know there are plenty other coupon clippers out there who know better tricks of the trade than me and I am willing to learn. And it is great if you go to more than one store. I was at Walmart today and saw a 5# bag of red potatoes for $3.27. Price Chopper this week has 5# red potatoes for $1.48. So, I know where I will be going tomorrow morning. One thing I found today was that I can get the Betty Crocker cookie pouches that only require butter and an egg for $1.58 and is quite a bit cheaper than if I had bought the chocolate chips and more brown sugar. And I'm only out a dozen cookies. Goodbye to Chips Ahoy. As for popsicles, I buy the cheapies. And the boys prefer them.

I'm open to hearing how you handle the economy in your household.

Off to comfort a cat who is traumatized by the having to wear the cone of shame and restricted from the outdoors for 2 weeks. Do cats loose their voices after 2 hours of howling to go out?

No comments:

Four Years Ago...And turning to Homesteading

Yep, four years since blogging was in my priorities. It's amazing how life is like a book. One chapter begins and before you know it, it...