Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Simpler Times


Today is a day to make more chocolate chip cookies and make rice krispy treats. That is what we have done today. The picture was taken on the 19th of January. Michael and Jacob helped make a chocolate cake in remembrance of Papa's birthday which was that day. They put all the ingredients that the boxed recipe required(no- I'm not that good!).

Since we have started cutting back and being more frugal, we have found we love made from scratch treats better. Even the cake we baked on the 19th, just wasn't that great. It's amazing how the more simple things are the better things become. We are finding life is more fun at home. We are finding we don't want to even go out anymore. Steven and I went on a date night last Saturday night. It was a fun time to be together. Steven is great fun to be with, don't get me wrong. But after venturing out into the crowd and the cold, freezing air of -2 degrees, we found ourselves heading home and not staying out nearly as long. And I would have been happy with a grilled cheese. Barnes and Nobles used to be fun. The library is a lot more fun now. I personally love the Oxford Library but I've heard there are wonderful ones all over.

I just got an advertisement in the mail to try a 7-day VIP pass at a local gym. Hey, now if you like gyms, don't get me wrong. But I would rather go walking with a friend, buy an elastic band, and use the weights that I have bought in the past to work out. Oh, and hey, how about the friends with the Wii Fits or those stairs that are in your house? Who needs a gym membership! Soup cans work too. I have a subscription to a fitness magazine that gives you lots of tricks of the trade, hints, and other mags that Steven has found for $3 for a year subscription or even for free. He's a frugal guru and teaching me a lot. But when the weather breaks, I'm sure you have friends who are feeling like they need to absorb that wonderful fresh air and sunshine. Grab them and go walking! (And if I don't quit eating these wonderful treats that I cooked, I'll need to climb the stairs much sooner). But I have to admit, I love the YMCA for their membership with the youth. The boys have a membership each that they can go swim, play in the gym, go to the youth fitness area, and rock wall climb during this time when they can't go out to play outside. We only go on Fridays now due to homework, school, and scouts. But during their school breaks, we go more. And your health insurance will give a discount depending on their policy. Pack the snacks and earn yourself some quiet time while they go play.

Another thought to help with these tough times is to read the frugal websites, start a coupon swapping system (another one's trash is another one's treasure), have a Mom's social time once a month (in the summer for older children). I have found the book reading groups in our church have been beneficial. I may not join in but it keeps me aware of the latest book that might be popular.

Back to the libraries, they have summer reading programs that allow the children to receive passes to places that get them in for free. And then there are the passes that are available all the time that give a discount or get you in for free. There's nothing like a picnic lunch packed, joining a group of friends, and it provides the social hour for both mothers and kids. I've heard the Purgatory is wonderful and plan on going when the weather is much more cooperative. Anyone who is interested in going on a day trip to the coast for a picnic lunch and sight seeing, let me know. When it's warmer of course.

Well, I think you are getting the jist of what I am writing about lately in my blog. But I have come to realize that I must cut back. I have become intrigued into how many ways I can save and do without. Many of you out there are much better than I am. So, if you have an experience or idea, I'd like to hear it.

No comments:

Four Years Ago...And turning to Homesteading

Yep, four years since blogging was in my priorities. It's amazing how life is like a book. One chapter begins and before you know it, it...